Question: PHP4 and Apache on Woody

Hi, I just apt-get installed Apache, and it seems to work just fine. I
then installed PHP4, and apache did not seem to recognize PHP files.

I've tried several extensions: .phtml, .php, ,php3, php4... none of them
work. The first three act really odd... when I click on them in my
browser on another machine, it treats them like a downloadable file, and
prompts me to specify a download location. The 4th (.php4), however,
acts totally different. It instead is just displayed in the browser as
plain, preformatted text... the tags and such are visible as well.

I instpected httpd.conf, and there are mentions of libph4.so, but they
are all commented out. I could remove the comments and configure Apache
myself the old fashioned way, but is this the correct way of doing
things? Will it get stomped by future installing of software?

One last question: do apache and apache-ssl use identical httpd.conf
file formats? If so, would it be prudent for me to symlink them both to
a common httpd.conf?

Thanks in advance!

--Aaron