Re: RAID and Debian???

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:18:53PM +0200, Vos wrote:

> I've got a bit of a problem, I've just bought a new motherboard with
> an on-board RAID controller (HighPoint HPT 370) and I wanted to install
> debian potato, but I can't when using RAID :-(. When I boot with the cd
> I can't partition the HDD, because debian can't find my HDD when it is
> in RAID mode.. Does anyone know what I can do besides not using RAID?

It's not a real raid controller, don't believe any marketroids for it.

What it does is to overload the normal bios calls to access the disk.
So dos, which uses only bios calls to access any hardware, will believe
this is truly raid.

Linux does not care about your bios (unless you use acpi) and handles
the controller hardware directly.  This is great,
because it is a lot easier to fix linux when it is broken, than it is to
fix your bios.

Don't use the bios software raid, instead just use the
ide controller directly and have linux do the software raid for you.
Compared to the native linux software raid, these "raid" controllers
are widely considered fuming excrement.  Don't step in it.

Cheers,

Joost