Re: ?True type fonts?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 09:41:58PM +1000, Alan Davis wrote:
> I have  seen some instructions for improving fonts in Netscape, often
> using True Type fonts.  I resist moving any MS products onto my machine.
> Are there philosophical or practical arguements for or against using TT
> fonts?
>
> This question also touches upon TeX/LaTex;  I have also seen instructions
> for installing TT fonts.  I resist.
>
> What---if anything---recommends them?   I am looking for a balanced view; however, I cannot/will not leave philosophical issues behind.  I wish to support free software in every way possible.
>

> At first glance, even in the page http://www2.arnes.si/~mrihta3/ns-unix.html, where Type I fonts are mentioned, I didn't see any instructions for installing them---mainly TT fonts.
>
> Alan
> --
> adavis@saipan.com                                      1-670-235-6580
>     Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI
>
>  I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
>  hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one on
>  every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
>                                   -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

G'day Alan,

<QUOTE - Font-HOWTO>

 2.1.4.  TrueType fonts

  True type fonts were developed by Apple. They made the format
  available to Microsoft, and succesfully challenged Adobe's grip on the
  font market.  True type fonts store the metric and shape information
  in a single file ( usually one with a ttf extension ). Recently, font
  servers have been developed that make TrueType available to X. And
  postscript and ghostscript have supported TrueType fonts for some
  time. Because of this, TrueType fonts are becoming more popular on
  linux.

</QUOTE>

So unless you install the msttcorefont or what ever that package is called
you aren't putting any MS products on your box.

Cheers

Joel