Re: menu

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 10:03:36PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 05:26:03PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > cd /usr/share/doc/menu.  read contents.  enjoy.

"man update-menus" is also a good starter.

> The Debian menu system is definitely your friend.  However, I like a
> little more control than what you can get from your .menu directory.
> For example, The Debian menu system populates the menus in alphabetical
> order.  That's fine for a generic system, but when I'm customizing my
> environment it's nice to have more control.

Did you know that you can write your own user versions?  Just copy the
contents of /etc/menu-methods/ to ~/.menu-methods/ and tweak away.

> Another nice thing I do with WindowMaker is define "XTERM" in my
> wmmacros file to be the terminal emulator I'd like to use.  That way all
> my menu entries that bring up terminal windows (remote logins, whatever)
> bring up similar looking windows.  If I ever decide to switch from Eterm
> to something else, it's just a matter of changing a single line and
> restarting Window Maker.  (I do hope that all terminal emulators will
> continue to support -e they way most currently seem to.)

Have a look at /etc/menu-methods/menu.h, it is there already.

> I just figured I'd share a couple tips for customizing your environment.
> I'm sure there are other ways to do what I do, and I'm sure other people
> have neat things they do to make their interface more useful.

With "menu" package, there's need to reinvent the wheel, just build the car.

Cheers,

Joost