Re: rescueflop with home-made kernel; installation requires a rescueflop but does not see mine

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 08:02:47AM +0200, Frans Schreuder wrote:
> Hai,
>
> Having a hard time figuring this out.
>
> Previous subject was Proliant 1000 pains in the butt, but that seemed to scare you people:-)
>
> I got myself a working kernel for the CompraQ proliant 1000 in the form of a bzImage.
> I copied it to a standard rescueflop renaming it to linux.
> Hinting it towards the smart2-array controller and the onboard (sim710-)controller, it booted nicely.
> The installation menu was started and I felt happy. Then at the time to install operating system kernel and modules, it prompted me to put in the rescue flop; I did. It complained that it could not mount the floppy, I thought it was the 'home-made' flop (probably is). So I got the standard rescueflop. It could not mount that either?????

Did you compile support for floppy disks into your custom kernel?
If so, then check carefully the bootmessages that scroll by as
linux boots.  It should detect the floppy disk drive controller.

You can also start a shell from the installer menu and type: "dmesg".

> Now for the odd part.......
> I installed the base system from floppies!!!

Your proliant's bios booted from the floppy.  On the floppy is
a bootloader that can load and start Linux, using bios calls.
Linux does not need to see your floppy, until you get to the
"install operating system kernel and modules" stage.

Cheers,

Joost