Re: [users] dd question

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 02:33:23PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> also sprach Joerg Johannes (on Sun, 01 Jul 2001 02:32:55PM +0200):
> > Good idea, but would need rescue disc wiht xfs-enabled kernel for it, so
> > this one must do it

Apparently, his root filesystem is xfs.  I doubt that the support for
that is compiled into the kernel image on the debian rescue floppy.
How will you mount it on /mnt then?

Clearly, a rescue floppy needs the ability to at least mount your system's
root filesystem.  If you are using ext2 for your root filesystem, then
debian's rescue floppy fullfills that requirement for you.

If you use non-ext2 filesystem on your root filesystem, you will need to
create your own kernel image for use on the rescue floppy, one that has
this filesystem driver built in (not module).  This is not very hard,
btw, but you have to look after it and do it yourself.

Much better approach anyway is to rtfm lilo docs, and create a lilo
boot block on a floppy, that can boot all your systems on the harddisk.
You must however update this boot block every time when you also update
the boot block on the harddisk itself.

Cheers,

Joost