Re: [users] dd question

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 03:17:09PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:

[ need custom kernel to boot with root as non-ext2 ]

| Much better approach anyway is to rtfm lilo docs, and create a lilo
| boot block on a floppy, that can boot all your systems on the harddisk.
| You must however update this boot block every time when you also update
| the boot block on the harddisk itself.

I prefer to use grub, in a situation like this.  With grub all you
need to do is enter the proper config AT BOOT TIME (ie when you put
the backup boot disk in the drive and turn on the power).  The only
downside here is that grub needs to be able to read the filesystem to
get the kernel out of it, so it may not actually be a better solution
in this case.

-D