Re: tar on nfs freezes

* Martin Maciaszek (mmaciaszek@gmx.net) spake thusly:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:18:29AM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
... The freeze appeared after about 1 GB has been
> > copied.
> > We worked around it: cp -a does the same job and does not freeze. )
> >
> For copying large abounts of data over the network I suggest
> using a netcat tunnel. This works faster than scp and doesn't
> need any network file systems.

Yes, that or rsh/ssh will bypass NFS with all its overhead. The recommended
way is to do tar -bcpf foo bar | rsh target (cd dir && tar -xbpf -) IIRC.

To OP: read about -b option to tar. If your problem is with NIC drivers,
-b might fix it. OTGH if cp -a works for you, use that.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key