Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

Nikki Locke <nikki@trumphurst.com> writes:

> As far as I know, the card is Plug and Play. Why can't X probe the card and
> find out for me?

Often, it can.  You don't say whether you are using XF86 4 or 3.3.6.
The newer version of X is much better as scanning for devices and
autoconfiguring them.  But that version isn't in stable (although some
people have packaged it).  The old version doesn't scan at all, and
while the various setup tools try to, they don't do it as well.

Veni, Vidi, Boogie:  I came, I saw, I got out in a big hurry!