Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 05:00:27PM -0700, Jack Pryne wrote:

> If we got this system up and running, Debian would be the *easiest* OS
> install anywhere! Debian would take over the planet!

Ah, if only it were that easy.

When I think about the possibility of introducing Linux to, say, my mom,
it's not the install I worry about because I can install it myself and
then (thanks to Debian) a future (re)installation is unnecessary.  I
don't worry about hardware configuration because, again, it's mostly a
one-time thing and it's something I can set up for someone myself.

What keeps me from introducing Linux to my mom, and will for a while, is
the inevitable "But Tom, can I use this greeting card program?", "Tom,
how do I run this .exe file my friend sent me?", "Tom, this 'gimp' thing
is hard and doesn't run my Photoshop plugins, I want Photoshop back.",
"Tom, how come this ICQ can't do all the stuff it could do in
Windows??", "Tom, how come I can't use <insert name of Windows-only
browser plugin>?!" and on and on and on.

--
Tom
"Without the rich heart, wealth is an ugly beggar."