Can't open root device

I am using testing version of debian + 2.2.19 kernel and I would like to use 2.4.5.
But when computer boots, a folowing kernel panic message appears:

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01

Does anybody meat this problem, or can anybody help me to locate where might be a problem?

I use relatively old hardware - Pentium classic MB.

Is there any possibility to examine what chipset and ide controller is on my MB without rebooting?

Thanx Ucar