Re: mutt -- was Re: Why use fakeroot when compiling kernel?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:05:51PM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:34:19PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > hmm. maybe there's a scoring mechanism, coupled with a macro,
> > that you could cobble together to have mutt work that way?
>
> hoped for someone to have done it for me:)
>
> > mutt's awful paarful, don' be dissin' my main mua!
> > --
> > DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #51 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
> > :
> > Interested in CUSTOMIZING MUTT to work the way you'd like?
>
> are you *sure* those newbie tips are randomly added to your anwsers?

announcement --

	okay, people, i DO have my tip-script-sig accept a
	collection of arguments that it uses to pare down the list
	from which the actual shown tip is selected. but often i
	find that a pertinent tip is chosen randomly -- and when
	that happens, i mention the serendipity factor. when it
	doesn't provide a germane* tip i can force it to do so, as i
	did in this case.

so, no, in this case, i skewed the curve towards a mutt-specific
tip.

	# ...my perl 'select-a-tip' algorithm...
	my $match = join "",map{"return 0 unless /\Q$_\E/io;\n"} @ARGV;
	$match = eval "sub {local \$_ = shift;\n$match	return 1;\n}" if $match;
	$match = sub { 1 } unless $match;

	my $txt = '?';
	my $tip = 0;
	my $num = 0;

	my $ct = 0;

	while ( <DATA> ) {
		$tip++;
		if ( $match->($_) ) { # matches all commandline args (if any)
			if ( rand() < 1 / ++$ct ) {
				chomp($txt = $_);
				$num = $tip;
			}
		}
	}

* by the way -- speaking of filtering 'randomized' signatures
based on message content, is there any way to have mutt pipe a
quoted reply-to message through a script before sending it to the
editor? it'd be nice to have my ~/.signature-debian script scan
the message for key words and then pick an appropriate tip
automatically...

who's got the mutt clue stick?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #22 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>