Re: Why use fakeroot when compiling kernel?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 11:35:05PM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:

> Don't know why debians package builder needs to be root, but given that
> it suffices to fake root, fakeroot is the way to go:)

because if your not {fake}root all files in that package will end up
getting installed with owners like joeuser instead of root.

debian uses tar to store file permissions, tar preserves whatever
permissions it finds on the filesystem at build time, thus we must
chown -R root.root which of course requires the appearance of root
privileges.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/