Postgresql 7.1 died

Running on Woody.

Updating an index the postmaster died.  Any effort to revive it
failed:
-----------------------------
$ sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
Restarting PostgreSQL postmaster.
No /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster found running; none killed.
     "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath
      anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath
      sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach
      deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight
      to the blind, to set at liberty them that are
      bruised..."         Luke 4:18
Starting PostgreSQL postmaster.
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/postgres/data -l
/var/log/postgres.log
postmaster successfully started
$ sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
Restarting PostgreSQL postmaster.
No /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster found running; none killed.
     "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath
      anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath
      sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach
      deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight
      to the blind, to set at liberty them that are
      bruised..."         Luke 4:18
Starting PostgreSQL postmaster.
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/postgres/data -l
/var/log/postgres.log
postmaster successfully started

$ ps aux | grep post
js       14039  0.0  0.3  1328  456 ttyp0    S    17:33   0:00 grep post

Is it fatally wounded?  How can I get it to run again?

Johann
--
Johann Spies
Informasietegnologie