Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

> As far as I know, the card is Plug and Play. Why can't X
> probe the card and  find out for me?

Did you try SuperProbe? log in as root, type: SuperProbe. Turn
off your monitor(s), hit ENTER, wait for about 10 seconds and
turn the monitor back again.

> I have found a sheet of paper that might be the monitor's
> manual, and got  the scan frequencies from there. But how am
> I supposed to find out the vag  card dotclock frequency?

Generally, I skip that part, and I don't probe clocks either. But
that's with relatively new PCI cards ... don't know about yours.

> I like Debian because its  package
> installation is so simple, but it really falls down when it
> gets to configuring X.

Well, actually it doesn't fall down, it asks you for support. You
are letting it down. :)

That's not really a Debian issue, technically speaking. AFAIK,
that's a potato issue. woody (or was it sid) have better
configurators for X. Or am I wrong? List?

  Jordi S. Bunster
<jsb@nautilus.com.br>