Re: [OT] Software to draw microprocessor schematics

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:49:32PM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
| Hi folks,
|
| I need to develep a microprocessor for my computer science class and I'm
| looking for a tool to draw the schematics.  I've looked at xcircuit and
| chipmunk-log, but I'm quite frightened by the user interface.  I'm
| comfortable with xfig and I've finally realized how to export xfig
| drawings, so I can use them with pdflatex, but the library for
| Computers->Schematics is a little lacking.
|
| Is there a special tool for drawing microprocessors with a decent UI out
| there?  Or does anybody know an extensive library for xfig?

Aside from xfig and dia there is Oregano, which is a schematic drawing
program.  I haven't checked its status in a while.  It originally
(like version 0.1 and 0.2) couldn't print, then printing was added but
it wasn't high-quality.

There is also OrCad.  This is a commercial product that is free for
student use.  It is really quite good (I used it for my Intro to
Digital course), but it requires MS Windows.  Maybe it would work
under wine?  There is another name for it, but I don't remember right
now.

-D