Re: su doesn't work; root cannot log in! Arrgggg

* Kent West (westk@nicanor.acu.edu) [010627 09:04]:
> Alan Davis wrote:
>
> > My machine has been up for a few days, and now I cannot take it down, since only the sessions that are now open to root will work.  I am running "sid" the unstable, and recently did a major upgrade.
[snip]

> To get into root, you'll have to reboot your computer (probably
> Ctrl-Aflt-F1 to get to the first virtual terminal, followed by a
> Ctrl-Alt-Delete to force a reboot should do it) and boot into single
> user mode. You can do this by typing "linux s" at the "boot:" prompt
> (assuming your normal kernel image is named "linux").
>
> Kent

No, don't reboot!!! If you already have a root session open somewhere
just install the new PAM package therefrom. If you reboot you'll have
to deal with single-user-mode or init=/bin/sh and some other tricks.
If you already have a root session open, just apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrde from there.

Vineet