apt-get : difference between dist-upgrade and dselect-upgrade

Hi.

I am confused with the use of apt-get dselect-upgrade : if I want
to run it, it will propose me to install 61 new packages I
haven't requested. _How do I get rid of these installation
candidates ?_

I always use apt-get install x, or the magic couple
apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade...

Only from time to time do I do a apt-get dselect-upgrade, just to
make sure everything is OK. But I never use dselect (absolutely
not user-friendly) : I've just used it today first time (to
remove an installation candidate libmysqlclient6 that was not OK
and bang... 61 packages to install.

Any help/suggestion/enlightenment for me ?

Thanks in advance