Re: apt-get : difference between dist-upgrade and dselect-upgrade

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 08:55:36PM +0200, Dominique Deleris wrote:
> I am confused with the use of apt-get dselect-upgrade : if I want
> to run it, it will propose me to install 61 new packages I
> haven't requested. _How do I get rid of these installation
> candidates ?_

Use dselect.

Update from the main menu.

Select from the main menu. In the main screen, unset the package
selections that you don't like.  Maybe dselect will prompt you about
other packages, that depend on the ones you just chose to remove, and
suggest a changed selection, that does not have unmatched dependencies.
Check that this is what you want indeed and hit enter.

Install from the main menu.

> Any help/suggestion/enlightenment for me ?

Repeat mantra:  dselect reaches where apt can't get.

Cheers,

Joost