Re: big IBM harddisk (fwd)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Frank Zimmermann wrote:
> virtanen wrote:
> > I tried, but if I connect my IBM, the machine doesn't boot at all...
>
> This sounds pretty much like a hardware failure to me. I had a
> problem when one of my harddrives was broken. I always got a drive
> error and the PC wouln't boot at all. No matter where I put the HD.
> If you have the possibility to check the HD on another PC do it ASAP.

Not necessarily.  I picked up a 30G drive a couple of weeks ago,
jumped through a hoop to install it as hda with the MBR on hda,
everything was fine... until I thought it would be a good idea to put
a small DOS partition at the start of the disk.  DOS couldn't handle
the big HD and left the BIOS in a state where it doesn't recognize the
master HD anymore and refuses to boot (but I can still boot from a
floppy); I may need to swap hda and hdb if I can't re-convince the
BIOS that there is actually a drive hd0.

- Bruce