Re: cd-rom "medium not found", no modules load

* Joost Kooij (joost@topaz.mdcc.cx) [010624 10:13]:
> What is interesting for you to know, is that if you want to use the cdrw
> to burn disks, you cannot do that using the ide/atapi interface and have
> to use the "scsi generic" interface.  In order to be able to do this,
> you must bind the "ide-scsi" driver to the cdrw at boot time, before the
> normal "ide-cd driver gets to sit on it.  This is done by putting append
> "hdc=ide-scsi" in your /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> After that, and rebooting to effectuate the change, you can tell your
> cd writing app to look for /dev/sg0 (the first scsi generic device)
> when it needs to find the cdrw.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Joost

That's certainly the part that's interesting to me these days. I've
been successful in getting my CDRW to burn a disc, but I'm unable to
mount from the drive. I've seen reports similar to this in other
mailing list archives but have not found an answer. I am specifying
hdc=ide-scsi. The drive is my only CD drive (I don't have an
additional CDROM). It shows up in cdrecord -scanbus:

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
	0,0,0	  0) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIPCD3840INT-A  ' '1.08' Removable CD-ROM
	0,1,0	  1) *
	0,2,0	  2) *
	0,3,0	  3) *
	0,4,0	  4) *
	0,5,0	  5) *
	0,6,0	  6) *
	0,7,0	  7) *

And, as I said, it even records a disc fine. It also plays audio CDs
to the sound card, and cdda2wav and cdparanoia are able to rip CDDA
from the drive. I just can not mount any disc I place in the drive, I
get the following error message:

ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected - discarding data
(that line repeats for a total of 83 error lines)
Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       or too many mounted file systems

Identical results with /dev/sr0 (which is in fact a symlink to
/dev/scd0).

Apologies if the long qutoed lines above cause you grief.

Here are what I believe to be the relevant lines from my kernel
config:
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR=y
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING is not set
# (all scsi low-level drivers are not set)

In case it was unclear, this is an all-IDE system using scsi
emulation. The drive worked fine using the ide-cd method, and as
evidenced above, is working for other atapi/scsi-emulation
applications (cdda, cdrecord).

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. If I may provide any more
information regarding the matter, please let me know.

Vineet