Re: custom upgrades

"Dana S. Wheeler" wrote:

> I have a really slow modem connection (rural phone line) so updating by
> apt-get on line is not really an option. Is there some
> web site where you can compile your own custom cd and have them mail it
> to you?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dana S. Wheeler

Hi Dana

I don't know of such a service, but if you know someone with a fast
connection and a cd-burner or zip drive, you could do the following:
apt-get update via modem line
apt-get upgrade # make sure you are happy with the changes and select NO
read /usr/share/doc/apt/offline.html/index.html (you will be interested
in ch3.html)
do the steps as described to produce a wget-script
run this wget script on your friend's computer, put the downloaded
packages on zip or cd

(Beware, some packages contain a % in the package name, this might be a
problem when burning it on cd. Solution:
  bash:> exec tcsh
  tcsh:% touch packages.tar
  tcsh:% foreach foo ( `ls *.deb | grep %`) # the backquotes are
important
  > tar uf packages.tar $foo
  > rm $foo
  > end
  tcsh:% exit
You can safley burn packages.tar on cd now)

Back at home, copy the debs to /var/cache/apt/archives and run
apt-get upgrade again, selecting YES this time, and voilĂ , apt finds
all the debs
(I don't like the installing with "apt-get options::idont-know::this" as
described in the offline manual)

This is what I do frequently, hope you can do it the same way, however,
if you have nobody near you with a fast connection, this won't help you.

joerg
--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.