Re: cd-rom "medium not found", no modules load

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:32:47AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> And, as I said, it even records a disc fine. It also plays audio CDs
> to the sound card, and cdda2wav and cdparanoia are able to rip CDDA
> from the drive. I just can not mount any disc I place in the drive, I
> get the following error message:
>
> ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected - discarding data
> (that line repeats for a total of 83 error lines)
> Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> Identical results with /dev/sr0 (which is in fact a symlink to
> /dev/scd0).
>
> Apologies if the long qutoed lines above cause you grief.
>
> Here are what I believe to be the relevant lines from my kernel
> config:
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
On an off chance, try it again ( :-P ) with that enabled.  Maybe it
is still needed for some low-level access.  Pure guesswork, YMMV

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
> CONFIG_SCSI=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not set
> # CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
> # CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR=y
> CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
> CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES is not set
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> # CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
> CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
> # CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING is not set
One of these might be of use to you in this situation.

> # (all scsi low-level drivers are not set)
>
> In case it was unclear, this is an all-IDE system using scsi
> emulation. The drive worked fine using the ide-cd method, and as
> evidenced above, is working for other atapi/scsi-emulation
> applications (cdda, cdrecord).

It's weird.

Cheers,

Joost