Re: How to fetchmail from ISP-b using SSH when ISP-a has socks?

joost@topaz.mdcc.cx (Joost Kooij) wrote:
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:51:47 +0200
 [...]
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 07:00:36PM -0700, Robert Cymbala wrote:
> >
> > My remote provider (ISP-b) has enabled SSH on my account, but am still
> > getting "secure connection... refused".  What can I try next?
> >
> > My local provider (ISP-a) is www.lafn.org that I use to dial-up (uses
> > a socks proxy "proxy.lafn.org:1080").
>
> Well, do you know what "socks" means?  Look it up on the web if you have to.
> It practically means that you must rebuild your ssh with socks support,
> because IIRC the default ssh.deb doesn't have it compiled in.

Here's what's in the status file.  Do I need to rebuild?

~$ awk '/^$/{if (p ~ /^ssh/) {print p, s;}} /^Package:/{p=$2} /^Status:/{s=$0}' /var/lib/dpkg/status
ssh-nonfree Status: install ok installed
ssh Status: deinstall ok config-files
ssh-socks Status: install ok installed
~$

> Or install ssh-socks, but it is a non-free package, rms doesn't like it.
>
> > Fetchmail gets email from
> > mail.lafn.org using POP without a problem.
>
> Because that one can be reached with bare ip, likely.
>
> You can also put up a .forward at isp-b that forwards all your email
> automatically to isp-a, so you can pop there.

That sounds like a plan.  Then I won't have to figure out how to use
fetchmail.

> Or even crawling?  The '-v' option to ssh is your friend, and together with
> the manpages, there's suddenly a whole cosy circle of friends.  ;-)

I'll give that a try too...  as if I weren't already friendly with the
manpages!   I've also looked at the FAQ for fetchmail.  Maybe
something is not sinking in.

Cheers,
Robert