OpenAFS under Potato: can't compile...

Please forgive my poor understanding of kernel-level things.

I'm trying to get openAFS (the client side) running under potato. I looked
at the instructions from www.openafs.org, and added the two lines to
sources.list as instructed.  I did the apt-get install for the module
source, and unpacked the sources, so I now have

/usr/src/modules/openafs

containing those module sources.

The next step is to change into kernel source directory and make-kpkg
configure, which I did with no problems.

Next, the instructions say to do a make-kpkg modules. The result:

nujoma:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17# make-kpkg modules
for module in /usr/src/modules/* ; do                         \
          if test -d  $module; then                                \
    (cd $module;                                           \
              if ./debian/rules
KVERS="2.2.17" KSRC="/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17" \
                             KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package
Maintainer" KEMAIL="unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf"      \
                             KDREV="Custom.1.00" kdist; then          \
                  echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
              else                                                  \
                   echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue?";                  \
           read ans;                                        \
              fi;                                                   \
     );                                                     \
  fi;                                                       \
        done
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/openafs'
dh_testdir
make[1]: dh_testdir: Command not found
make[1]: *** [configure-stamp] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/openafs'
Module /usr/src/modules/openafs failed.
Hit return to Continue?

Looking through /usr/src/modules/openafs/debian, I found the
"rules" program and ran it:

nujoma:/usr/src/modules/openafs/debian# ./rules
debian/sysname: debian/sysname: No such file or directory
debian/sysname: debian/sysname: No such file or directory
debian/sysname: debian/sysname: No such file or directory
debian/sysname: debian/sysname: No such file or directory
dh_testdir
make: dh_testdir: Command not found
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 127
nujoma:/usr/src/modules/openafs/debian# ls sysname
sysname
nujoma:/usr/src/modules/openafs/debian# cd ..
nujoma:/usr/src/modules/openafs# debian/rules
dh_testdir
make: dh_testdir: Command not found
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 127

There is no sign of any file named "testdir" anywhere on my system (in
src or elsewhere).

Any advice will be much appreciated.

nujoma:~> uname -a
Linux nujoma 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA