Re: Serial Mouse problem

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 12:05:53PM +1000, Chris Everist wrote:
> I have tried all the possible device options I can think of
> (/dev/ttyS0-4, /dev/mouse) but nothing happens.

Those are not "device options", they're symbolic devices managed by
the kernel and that correspond to some physical peripheral.

You should try to find out to what plug your mouse connects.  If
it is a small round one, that corresponds to /dev/psaux.  If it is
a classic small rs232 style connector, it is a common serial port
that corresponds to /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1.

> I have checked in the /dev/ directory and cannot find a symbolic link to
> the mouse driver /dev/mouse.

It is not needed for the system.  Just for humans, so they get less
confused.  Well, you can see how well that works out already... :-P

> Do you have any idea what coule be causing this problem?

You are not setting the right "wire protocol" for your mouse.
Mice come in different tongues.  Some even speak with two tongues,
depending on which port it hangs off of.

Check out the XF86Config or XF86Config-4 manpage and some of the
gpm documentation for more information about mouse protocols.

Cheers,

Joost