Stop apt-get upgrade from messing with fetchmailrc?

Folks,

I have yet another minor question. I thought to be smart to add a line to
my pcmcia network startup script to start up fetchmail (in daemon mode) on
my laptop whenever I plug in the network card. It works great, it just
runs every 15 minutes during the night, downloading all my mail, and it
shuts down properly when I unplug in the morning, so I can read my mail on
the train while commuting to work.
However I woudn't be posting if I didn't have a problem: whenever I do an
apt-get upgrade on the laptop, and fetchmail gets upgraded (about 3 times
last week, running sid), the postinst script detects an existing
/etc/fetchmailrc and promptly chowns it fetchmail.root and installs
fetchmail in /etc/init.d. My fetchmail that runs from the pcmcia script
then starts complaining to the syslog that it doesn't own the fetchmailrc
file, and the other fetchmail daemon starts complaining about not finding
the POP servers when I unplug it.
I am getting a little tired of doing update-rc.d -f fetchmail remove and
chown root.root /etc/fetchmailrc after every upgrade. So here's the
question: is it enought to just rename the fetchmailrc file, or is there
another way of stopping the postinst script of messing with my config? I
seem to remember it's policy that packages shouldn't mess with local
versions of config files, hence my question.

TIA

Mart