Re: Gnome - How to install?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 05:56:37PM -0400, Wayne wrote:
> First let me make an apology to Nick for clicking my send button to soon.
> Well, I don't have an  .xinitrc file. So I looked at the man page for "startx".
> Apparently I'm using the file (xinitrc) in /etc/X11/init. I could see no
> referrence to wmaker in this file. So I tried this "startx gnome-session".
> Sure enough it started gnome. It doesn't look good, but it started.
> I got out of this session ok, but I now have xdm running. Could someone
> tell me how to stop xdm from starting?

You can't (easily) have both xdm and gdm.

Go into dselect, select gdm.  Dselect will automatically unselect
xdm for you.  Install.

BTW, you're on the right track to read all those scripts littered through
all of /etc/X11.  For all I know it is the fastest way to figure out what
the hell is really going on (or wrong in those cases). ;-P

Cheers,

Joost