Re: Gnome - How to install?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 05:56:37PM -0400, Wayne wrote:
> Hi.
> First let me make an apology to Nick for clicking my send button to soon.
> Well, I don't have an  .xinitrc file. So I looked at the man page for "startx".
> Apparently I'm using the file (xinitrc) in /etc/X11/init. I could see no
> referrence to wmaker in this file. So I tried this "startx gnome-session".
> Sure enough it started gnome. It doesn't look good, but it started.
> I got out of this session ok, but I now have xdm running. Could someone
> tell me how to stop xdm from starting?
> Wayne
> P.S. I'm going to try building my own .xinirc file.

Which version of Debian is it? If it's potato (2.2) then you can make a .xsession file, which will tell X what to start no matter how you start it, whether that be through XDM or startx or whatever... If not you could just apt-get remove xdm like that other guy said... Personally I removed it coz I like the text console...