Re: Logging Init output?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:12:48 -0500
will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:26:41PM -0600, Jimmy Richards wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:36:58PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll provide a little background first: this weekend, the loopback
> > > interface on my laptop stopped working. I checked all config files,
and
> > > they are ok, I can also bring up the loopback manually with
'ifconfig lo
> > > 127.0.0.1 up' after which it functions normally. I have seen however
an
> > > error message flashing by during boot, but it passes too fast for me
> > > see what it says.
> > > Thus my question: is it somehow possible to log the output of the
init
> > > scripts somehow, so that I can debug this problem (the error message
only
> > > started appearing after I lost loopback, so I'm guessing they are
> > > related).
> >
> > 	You can try to catch it with a CTRL-S while booting. This will
> > 	'suspend' any further processing of the boot process until you press
> > 	CTRL-Q to let it continue. It gives you a chance to read and examine
> > 	the boot messages at your leisure, but it can be hard to catch it
> > 	when it's on the last one or two boot processes though.
>
> 1) ^S/^Q can work wonders (after the kernel enables it)
>
> 2) shift-pageup/shift-pagedown to scroll console (and
>    rxvt/xterm windows)
>
> 3) man dmesg
> <snip>
>        The program helps users to print  out  their  bootup  mes­
>        sages.   Instead of copying the messages by hand, the user
>        need only:
>               dmesg > boot.messages
>        and mail the boot.messages file to whoever can debug their
>        problem.
> <snip>
Ok,

Thanks both of you. I'll answer your suggestions in this email.
Jimmy:
It is in fact one of the first init messages after the kernel boot
messages, and I have a lot of services on this laptop (I intend to use it
as an all-purpose mobile development workstation), so that is why it
flashes by so quick. Had it been the last message, I would have no
problem, as Debian does not clear the console after boot, so ctrl-alt-f1
would have solved it. I'll try freezing init on the next boot though (it
might be a while, I suspend this laptop instead of switching off).
Will:
Thanks for the tip with shift-pageup. I do know about that but I keep
forgetting it. I don't know if it goes back far enough for my purposes,
but I'll give it a shot next time. For the record though, I wasn't talking
about the kernel boot messages, which is what dmesg returns, but about the
init messages, which to my scant knowledge aren't logged anywhere.

Thanks

Mart