Re: Logging Init output?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:26:41PM -0600, Jimmy Richards wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:36:58PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> >
> > I'll provide a little background first: this weekend, the loopback
> > interface on my laptop stopped working. I checked all config files, and
> > they are ok, I can also bring up the loopback manually with 'ifconfig lo
> > 127.0.0.1 up' after which it functions normally. I have seen however an
> > error message flashing by during boot, but it passes too fast for me to
> > see what it says.
> > Thus my question: is it somehow possible to log the output of the init
> > scripts somehow, so that I can debug this problem (the error message only
> > started appearing after I lost loopback, so I'm guessing they are
> > related).
>
> 	You can try to catch it with a CTRL-S while booting. This will
> 	'suspend' any further processing of the boot process until you press
> 	CTRL-Q to let it continue. It gives you a chance to read and examine
> 	the boot messages at your leisure, but it can be hard to catch it
> 	when it's on the last one or two boot processes though.

1) ^S/^Q can work wonders (after the kernel enables it)

2) shift-pageup/shift-pagedown to scroll console (and
   rxvt/xterm windows)

3) man dmesg
<snip>
       The program helps users to print  out  their  bootup  mes­
       sages.   Instead of copying the messages by hand, the user
       need only:
              dmesg > boot.messages
       and mail the boot.messages file to whoever can debug their
       problem.
<snip>

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #6 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>