Re: Dual processor PIII 866 versus single Pentium 1.4Ghz

Vector wrote:
> For multiprocessor support, intel is not as horrid as you proclaim it to
> be.  No question, AMD rocks.  But there are not many (any at all?) dual
> cpu boards out there and the support for more than one processor with AMD
> is still quite immature.  For mid-range and up servers, multiple CPU's can
> be a big win and intell is still the best choice for that type of
> solution.  I'm quite pleased that AMD has pulled ahead with a faster bus I
> anxiously await a solid dual AMD cpu solution.  As soon as comes along I
> will no doubt convert all my multiprocessor intell systems to AMD.

Tyan has released a dual Athlon motherboard.  According to Pricewatch you
can get the board with *two* 1.2 GHz Athlon MP CPU's for just over 1000USD.
The motherboard has onboard Ultra 160 SCSI (Adaptec AIC-7899W) controller
and dual onboard Ethernet controllers (3Com 3C920's).  Full specs at
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html

I'm saving up. :)
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.