Re: oldtimer pc

MaD dUCK <madduck@madduck.net> wrote:

> so i pulled this old 486-33 machine out of the basement, it's got 8Mb
> RAM, a shitty graphics card, and 240Mb of HDD space. it's ISA only,
> but i want to try using an AVM FritzCard and a cheap NE2000 compatible
> to make it be a masquerading router. it's probably going to fail, but
> i want to try anyway.

There is no reason for it to fail. I have a similar machine (but
then without a hard disk) running as masquerading router, between
broadcast networking cable and a few other computers. I think the
easiest way to do this, is to find a "linux-on-a-flop" system. see
e.g. the (Debian-based) Linux router project (lrp.c0wz.com). In such a
system, the complete operating system is downloaded from a floppy onto
a ram-disk in main memory (and yet no more than 8 megabyte memory is
needed in the computer). So, if someone hacks into
your router, you can reboot the machine, and everything has been
undone.

Site http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/
provides a list of mini-linux distributions that are suitable for
running on old, small computers.

Good luck,

Paul Huygen