Re: memory

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 05:40:54PM +0200, Adri wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have some scattered questions
>
> a) I read that sometimes linu doesn't see all the ram you have installed on
> your machine.
> How can I verify hao much ram does my debian sees? And how can I correct
> the situation in case there's something wrong?

	Hi Adri,

	To see how much ram debian sees try the command 'free -m'. The -m
switch will show you the amount in Megabytes.

> b) how can I know how much space on my disk is free and how much is not
> free? Which is the utility?

For this one I would suggest the command 'df -h'. The -h switch means
you want to see it in 'human readable form'.

> Also I saw I have exim installed and I have a smtp service running. How can
> I send a simple email? I don't want a complete email setup for now, I'd
> just love to send a simgle email, my first mail from linux !!
> I should use the smtp relay of the company, should I edit the
> /etc/exim.conf file?

I use sendmail, and it's been a little while since I set up exim, but,
if you know what to edit and put in the exim.config file I don't know
why that wouldn't work. That is if you know. You could run the command
'eximconfig' and choose to the 'Smart Host' option (I think) and then
put in your company's mail host as the relay machine. Hope that's right.

> Thnak you all
> Bye
> Adri

	I hope that helps a little,