Re: Ripping MP3s

On Wednesday 20 June 2001 15:34, garyjones@linuxfreemail.com wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any package for creating mp3s from CDs (yes, I do own
> them :) under Debian? I tried searching the package list but there was
> nothing obvious, only players it seemed.

Grip is a GUI ripper that uses cdparanoia and you can tell it what encoder to
use. I recommend Ogg Vorbis for extra quality and freedom.

> For bonus points you might also like to recommend a sound card, as
> I'm not sure that mine (Yamaha WF192XG) works too well (or at all)
> using GPL-type software.

I have this card but I haven't tried to make it work yet. Look in the kernel
modules in section sound if you see anything like that, otherwise look on
www.alsaproject.org in the list of supported cards.
If that fails you can buy a closed source driver at www.opensound.com .