Re: OT: newbieDoc and XML -- can you help?

will trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:

> who among us debianistas has knowledge of the names of the tools
> we'd need in order to:
>
> 1) get started with the right command-line XML gizmo
>    (maybe a document-structure-definition thing, too?)
>
> 2) do cgi/mod_perl interface for a web front-end to
>    create/browse these tips
>
> 3) munge the back-end data into and out of xml, including
>    (ignorance showing, here) gizmos needed to create the
>    data structure of the xml

  libxml-perl
    lots of useful xml stuff for handling xml documents in perl,
    including PerlSAX.

  libxml-xslt-perl
    take a xslt stylesheet and some xml, and generate new xml (or html,
    which is really a specific form of xml). This would be useful to
    turn xml-encoded data into html for display on a web page. A

  libxml-sablot-perl
    an alternative xslt processor. libxml-sablot-perl has been in debian
    longer, but we are starting to migrate to libxml-xslt-perl, because
    the backend (libxslt) seems to be significantly faster than
    sablotron.

  libxml-writer-perl
    generates xml; useful for converting text into xml

  psgml
  tdtd
    Emacs modes editing xml and DTDs.

  libxml-xpath-perl
    module for accessing arbitrary elements inside of XML trees, blessed
    by the W3C. useful for getting at a particular element inside an xml
    tree when you don't know in advance where the element is
    (i.e. selecting a random element from the tree).

  libxml-grove-perl
    another approach to the xpath problem

  axkit
    Write your web pages in xml, deliver them in HTML. Want to change
    the look and feel of your entire site?  Just change the
    stylesheet. Want to generate an AvantGo-friendly version? Don't
    change the text, just use a different stylesheet.

    My company's web sites (pdamd.com, pdajd.com, pdare.com, pdafn.com,
    pdaed.com) all use axkit as the back end, and our editors write
    everything in XML. Browse the sites, and you'll see that a lot of
    the content is repeated across all sites, but it all comes from a
    single source file. The look and feel is all handled by xslt
    stylesheets, and the html is generated by apache running mod_perl
    and axkit.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! ..  or were you driving the
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | PONTIAC that HONKED at me in