Re: NFS sharing /usr

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 06:54:59PM +0100, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Or am I going at this the wrong way - is NFS'ing the whole of /usr not a
> Good Thing?
> If so, what's the solution that results in a global /usr for the
> clients?

I looked at this same idea a couple months back (check the archive for,
IIRC, something like "Debian with a read-only /usr" if you want to see
what I was told them) and it didn't look feasible within the current
version of apt.

As an alternative, I decided that it would work fairly well to set up
a local deb archive.  I don't quite trust it yet, but I was able to
successfully `apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade` a newish machine from
my local archive earlier today.  My intent is to get new packages on my
workstation, test them out, and then, if all is well, add them to the
local archive.  All the other machines on the network should then be
free to `apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade` nightly from cron.

In any case, doing this seems to be largely undocumented.  If all goes
well, though, I hope to be able to put some documentation and a cleaned
up version of my archive-creating perl script together within the next
week or so.  If you want help setting up something similar or you want to
be notified when I've got the docs ready, feel free to mail me directly.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+