Re: [slightly OT] 486 50mhz 16ram 258mb HD

on Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 05:03:02PM -0400, D-Man (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 09:37:48AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> | on Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 05:57:05PM +0200, Brendon (bren@europe.nl.com) wrote:
> |
> | > ah, that's good to hear. one question though: how large should the swap
> | > partition be.. ? i usually use one that is slightly larger than my RAM but
> | > with only 16 to begin with i'd think i'd need about 50mb swap.
> |
> | Size swap to tasks.  My rule of thumb is 1-2x RAM, though in practice, I
> | usually allocate 3x RAM on a new machine on the basis that I might
> | upgrade memory, and it's a PITA to allocate more swap (at least as a
> | partition), so this gives some built-in expandability.
>
> I have a 486 with 8MB RAM and I allocated 32MB swap.  It runs fine
> (basically just ipmasq at the moment), but I'm looking into making it
> a diskless (X)term instead.

Too much swap and...well, you've got too much swap.  At some point you
just want to say "uncle", and admit you're out of memory.  I've run into
problems with Galeon processes growing to larger than physical memory.
Swapping makes the program run glacially.  For your whole system to do
this would be a bad thing.

> | For IP filter and NAT, you won't need much swap.  Running a Squid
> proxy, | say, will benefit from more memory, which is bloody cheap at
> the moment, | and still going down, though old-style strips may be
> harder to find or | higher in price.
>
> New memory (SDRAM) is rather cheap.  I just saw a 256MB DIMM for $80
> at a store.  OTOH old memory (Fast Page Mode or EDO) is ~$80 for a
> 32MB SIMM, unfortunately.  There is a local store that deals with used
> parts that has some old Pentiums (some with 32MB RAM) for $100 (case,
> mobo, cpu, hd, NIC).

Thanks, that helps with a friend who'se putting together an old box from
odd parts.  Currently has 32 MB, but should see more.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!