Re: [slightly OT] 486 50mhz 16ram 258mb HD

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Brendon wrote:

> I was wondering if i should even try to do something with this machine.
> currently i have one desktop computer and one laptop, which i plan on putting
> in a network so i can use internet (via a cablemodem) on both machines.
>
> should i even bother trying to put such a low end machine to use as a
> gateway, firewall or webserver? if so would debian run on it, or should i
> look for a single floppy solution (and if so which one, where do i look)?
>

> Brendon
Hi,

you will be surprised to see what an old machine is capable of. I have a
486DX2 with 12MB configured as a gateway (ip masquerade) for ADSL,
firewall, smtp server, DNS server, pop3. So for internet sharing the
computer is fast enough, I can even read my mail on it with acceptable
speed. I do not know if it is fast enough for a webserver. Depends on your
cable modem line. If your upstream (== downstream for a visitor) is
64kbit/s and you do not have too wild pages, I think the bandwidth of your
internet connection will be the bottleneck. I do not know for higher
speeds. Just try. The only thing that is really slow is the install, but
after that...

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98