Re: [slightly OT] 486 50mhz 16ram 258mb HD

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 09:37:48AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 05:57:05PM +0200, Brendon (bren@europe.nl.com) wrote:
|
| > ah, that's good to hear. one question though: how large should the swap
| > partition be.. ? i usually use one that is slightly larger than my RAM but
| > with only 16 to begin with i'd think i'd need about 50mb swap.
|
| Size swap to tasks.  My rule of thumb is 1-2x RAM, though in practice, I
| usually allocate 3x RAM on a new machine on the basis that I might
| upgrade memory, and it's a PITA to allocate more swap (at least as a
| partition), so this gives some built-in expandability.

I have a 486 with 8MB RAM and I allocated 32MB swap.  It runs fine
(basically just ipmasq at the moment), but I'm looking into making it
a diskless (X)term instead.

| For IP filter and NAT, you won't need much swap.  Running a Squid proxy,
| say, will benefit from more memory, which is bloody cheap at the moment,
| and still going down, though old-style strips may be harder to find or
| higher in price.

New memory (SDRAM) is rather cheap.  I just saw a 256MB DIMM for $80
at a store.  OTOH old memory (Fast Page Mode or EDO) is ~$80 for a
32MB SIMM, unfortunately.  There is a local store that deals with used
parts that has some old Pentiums (some with 32MB RAM) for $100 (case,
mobo, cpu, hd, NIC).

-D