Re: [slightly OT] 486 50mhz 16ram 258mb HD

on Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 05:57:05PM +0200, Brendon (bren@europe.nl.com) wrote:

> ah, that's good to hear. one question though: how large should the swap
> partition be.. ? i usually use one that is slightly larger than my RAM but
> with only 16 to begin with i'd think i'd need about 50mb swap.

Size swap to tasks.  My rule of thumb is 1-2x RAM, though in practice, I
usually allocate 3x RAM on a new machine on the basis that I might
upgrade memory, and it's a PITA to allocate more swap (at least as a
partition), so this gives some built-in expandability.

For IP filter and NAT, you won't need much swap.  Running a Squid proxy,
say, will benefit from more memory, which is bloody cheap at the moment,
and still going down, though old-style strips may be harder to find or
higher in price.  My own gateway runs OpenBSD with IPFilter, NAT, and
Squid.  72M of 80 available is used by Squid, all other processes
account for 7 MB.

You should be fine at 16MB, if you restrict yourself to basic FW tasks.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!