NFS sharing /usr

Hi all-

I'm NFS sharing /usr from one box to a number of other, with the aim of
having only to do one apt update to the server machine (when I finally
get my 28.8 modem working ... :-) and so as not to waste disk space on
the client machines.

I'd just like to know what anyone else in this situation does to keep
/etc/ and other important directories up-to-date on the clients, so that
/etc/alternatives works, and all the wm files under /etc (like menu
hooks, etc) are consistent/present.

Or am I going at this the wrong way - is NFS'ing the whole of /usr not a
Good Thing?
If so, what's the solution that results in a global /usr for the
clients?

cheers,
jc