Re: 2.4 kernel and 4GB+ of RAM

* Adam Shand (larry@spack.org) spake thusly:

>  * In the new 2.4 kernels can a single process address more then 2Gb of
>    RAM?  More then 4Gb of RAM?
>
>  * Is this architecture dependent?  If so what are the differences.

64 vs 32 bit. Not being a kernel hacker I can't tell you which is used
where.

>  * What is the hard limit for the total amount of ram usable by a 2.4
>    kernel.
>
> If I've missed a good place to read about all this pointers would be much
> appreciated as well.

news://comp.os.linux.system and kernel mailing list, I guess.

Note that 2.4 kernels die (after 14 days uptime here) with "out of
memory". I wouldn't use a 2.4 kernel for a production machine until
that is fixed.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)