Re: Very occassional lockups of X

On Sunday 10 June 2001 01:39 am, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am running what is essentially a debian woody system (with KDE from CVS
> on top).  This means XFree 4.0.3
>
> Every so often (maybe once every two weeks) the user interface locks solid.
> The cursor disappears and no screen updates occur.
>
> I can still ssh into the machine from elsewhere, and can see that most of
> it is running perfectly.  The only way to clear this is to kill -9 the
> xserver from this ssh connection, at which point the screen springs into
> life.
>
> I don't know how to go about checking what might be the cause, there seems
> to be no obvious action on my part that causes this to happen.
>
> Anyone else have similar problems?

What's your video card and window manager?

I was having trouble with windowmaker (and I think a few others were too),
but those went away when I switched to any other window manager (I tried a
few). Also, OpenGL apps are still not totally solid with my rage128 card
(said after having just played tux racer for a half hour straight :-) so
those have been factors for me having similar lockups.

- David Nusinow
   krmt1984@ucla.edu