Re: Very occassional lockups of X

Alan Chandler wrote:

> I am running what is essentially a debian woody system (with KDE from CVS on
> top).  This means XFree 4.0.3
>
> Every so often (maybe once every two weeks) the user interface locks solid.
> The cursor disappears and no screen updates occur.
>
> I can still ssh into the machine from elsewhere, and can see that most of it
> is running perfectly.  The only way to clear this is to kill -9 the xserver
> from this ssh connection, at which point the screen springs into life.
>
> I don't know how to go about checking what might be the cause, there seems to
> be no obvious action on my part that causes this to happen.
>
> Anyone else have similar problems?

I'm seeing lockups also but not quite the same.
The cursor is still there and moveable, but I can
nolonger click on anything or change focus.  I
can use CTRL-ALT-F[X] to switch to a console
window and kill the app I was just working in
however no other key combinations that I know of
work.  I've had the most trouble with Freeamp.
If I double click on a song list it will sometimes
lockup.  I've also had lockups in other apps too.
Killing the app I was working in at the time of
the lockup frees up the condition that caused
the lockup.  I can then restart it.  My guess is
there is a race condition.  I last upgraded to
SID about a week ago.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan@visi.com   |   http://www.nerdvest.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |