Re: login -graphical user interface

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 02:39:37PM -0700, Abner Gershon wrote:

> --- Peter Whittam <whittam@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> > Ok, I am new at this so be cool about it.
> > when I start debian it immediately uses the
> > graphical login,
> > can I change this option to console login?
> >
> > regards newbee
> >
> I am relatively new to this too. I know that during
> installation you can select option of GUI login or not
> but I don't know how to change this without
> reinstalling. I'm sure someone will jump in with more
> info shortly. AG

This has been answered a lot.  One thing you can do to help keep posts
down on this list is help yourself.  Many answers can be easily found in
the list archives which can be searched at -
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Debian-Linux/199/0/
http://lists.debian.org/search.html

You can either remove the GUI login program, more than likely, xdm
with -
# apt-get remove xdm

Or if you want to leave the program in place but don't want it to start
automatically then remove the startup scripts with -
# update-rc.d -f xdm remove
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted