Re: switching from lilo to grub

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 02:22:10AM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
| Noah Meyerhans wrote:
|
| > > PS: grub is definatelly a great bootloader, I think I'll never go back
| > > to lilo.
| >
| > Same here, except on my machines with an XFS based root filesystem.
| > Grub does not yet support XFS, so I had to resort to LILO.  I looked in
| > to writing XFS support for grub, but I am not familiar with filesystem
| > coding to feel entirely comfortable.
|
| Uhh, have you tried to load lilo from grub via chainloader?  That sounds
| like fun.  :)  Of course, you would need to run lilo anyway, whenever

I haven't tried that, but I have chainloaded grub from itself -- just
for fun trying out the various commands. :-)

| you compile a new kernel, so one of grub's advantages -- recompiling
| kernels without re-running grub -- would be lost.  Too bad!  But you
| have the nicely colored boot menu for sure.  :)
|
| > One complaint I do have about grub is the license.  Grub itself is
| > GPLed, but it contains code ripped from incompatible (license-wise)
| > source.  That's not good, and I think somebody with experience in such
| > matters really needs to examine it.
|
| Hmm, this really sucks!  Makes we wonder, I always thought that grub was
| *the* *official* GNU bootloader.

This could just be a rumour ... this is the first I have heard it, and
I certainly hope it isn't true.  (I'm not accusing Noah in any way,
just hoping)  I definitely don't want to see grub go through some
nasty licensing wars.  They're even worse than editor or language
wars!

-D