Re: switching from lilo to grub

"Noah L. Meyerhans" wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:00:30AM -0700, Peter Hicks wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to make the switch from lilo to grub, and I was wondering what the
> > proper procedure is. It could be as easy as apt-get install grub could it?
>
> Mostly it is.  You'll want to get grub from woody or sid, though, as it
> comes with a handy script ('grub-install') that's not available in the
> potato version.

I second that.  Unfortunatelly sid's or woody's version of grub will not
run on potato, because it requires glibc 2.2.  But don't let that stop
you from using the unstable version anyway, because a) you don't
actually need to run grub from Debian and b) I consider the grub version
in potato to be broken.

Here's what to do when installing unstable's grub on potato:

1. Copy the grub *stage* files (found in /usr/share/grub/, I guess) to
/boot/grub and create a menu.lst file.

2. Cat the grub stage1 and stage2 files to a floppy

	# cat stage1 stage2 > /dev/fd0

3. Boot from floppy and at the grub cmd install grub onto the MBR

	grub> install (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

This example assumes, that /dev/hda (= (hd0)) is your first disk and
that your root fs is on the first partition on the first disk (=
(hd0,0)).  This is off the top of my head, so check the documentation
first!  That being said, I just went through this procedure on Tuesday
and it works like a charm.

Good luck,
Viktor

PS: grub is definatelly a great bootloader, I think I'll never go back
to lilo.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/