Re: switching from lilo to grub

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:27:53PM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> > Mostly it is.  You'll want to get grub from woody or sid, though, as it
> > comes with a handy script ('grub-install') that's not available in the
> > potato version.
>
> I second that.  Unfortunatelly sid's or woody's version of grub will not
> run on potato, because it requires glibc 2.2.  But don't let that stop
> you from using the unstable version anyway, because a) you don't
> actually need to run grub from Debian and b) I consider the grub version
> in potato to be broken.

Oh yeah.  I meant that you should do an 'apt-get source -b grub' to
build a potato .deb from woody (or sid) sources.

> PS: grub is definatelly a great bootloader, I think I'll never go back
> to lilo.

Same here, except on my machines with an XFS based root filesystem.
Grub does not yet support XFS, so I had to resort to LILO.  I looked in
to writing XFS support for grub, but I am not familiar with filesystem
coding to feel entirely comfortable.

One complaint I do have about grub is the license.  Grub itself is
GPLed, but it contains code ripped from incompatible (license-wise)
source.  That's not good, and I think somebody with experience in such
matters really needs to examine it.

noah