Re: 486 router is very slow

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I set up a router with my old 486 computer. I have there potato witch kernel
> 2.4 installed.
>
> Normally i have have rates of 7.8 kb/s (ISDN) throughput. But if i try it
> over my new router the rate is not more than 2 kb/s. Is it possible that the
> Masquerading process takes too much recources on that machine? It's a 33 Mhz
> Intel DX Processor.
>
> Any hints to speed that up?

   Just a few random checks that come to mind:
 * what is the chip controlling the serial port to the ISDN modem? Is it
an 8250 or a 16650? I seem to remember that the 8250 were not very good
but I don't remember when they stopped using them.
 * check the serial port configuration. What is its baud rate?
 * what is the CPU usage? To see if it's really CPU bound? Do the
system/user values look odd?

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
                         "Utilisateur" (nom commun) :